Thursday, May 30, 2019
The proposed bylaw change is something that has been debated many times over the years as to which way is the fairest to all members. I recently have been approached by many members about this issue and the possibility of changing our dues structure to a percentage based on our monthly wage rather than everyone paying the same amount as we currently do. Just like paying taxes not everyone pays the same amount and it is based on a percentage of the individual's income. I did some research with the help of the International on how most unions have their dues structured and found that most are based on a percentage, some include overtime, and some do not.
The new proposal does not include any overtime, only the base wages.
I believe if the proposed bylaw change is passed by the members, it will be the fairest and most equitable way provide the financial resources needed for this Union to do the following;
- When needed take our grievances to arbitration (arbitration cost is between $10,000 & $20,000 depending on the complexity of the case).
- Use our attorneys for arbitrations, advice and strategy on how to deal with the many issues we face from the different Companies.
- Use attorneys when needed for bankruptcy's and various other things that may come up.
- To better educate our Union officers and stewards on the best ways to represent our members.
- To be able to use our healthcare expert to help navigate and negotiate healthcare benefits with the different employers.
- Enable us to be better prepared for negotiations.
- We also use an attorney whose expertise is with PUC issues and has access to information which is really valuable.
- Increase membership by organizing different workplaces, a dues percentage is more appealing to most people thinking about joining a Union.
The best part of the proposed dues structure is that when the financial need is there, we will have the resources and when they are not needed everyone's dues will decrease.
- If this bylaw passes the current $10 dues assessment will no longer apply.
- We will continue to be financially responsible and make the best decisions possible when spending your dues money.
No dues money is ever given to politicians ..... only individuals voluntary contributions (COPE FUND)
I believe this will be the fairest way for all dues paying members to pay their fair share of dues and for your Union to improve how all members are represented.
Please note: If you did not receive the mailing please call the hall to update your address. There will be 2 meetings/times for the vote on the dues restructuring.